• A prototype version exists that features the theme from James Bond. When Midway couldn’t secure the rights to use it, it was changed to the Peter Gunn theme.
• The game has a “governor” of sorts on the accelerator. By removing the plastic piece underneath the gas pedal (or even dislodging the pedal), you can increase the default speed of the car if there is no access to the test switch (i.e., if one finds the game at a bowling alley and want to drive faster than it allows).
• After being let out of the van, due to crash or weapons upgrade, one can use the truck itself as a buffer to smash other cars off the road!
• If you can get to 18,000 points before the time runs out, you are awarded 2 cars.
• Safe spot: Have a supply truck available, and be on a level with a bridge out. When the detour appears, don't take it, but instead call up your truck. When the road straightens out into the bridge, enter the truck. When the truck stops, stay on the side of the road, and slowly drive up until you reach the gap in the bridge and stop when your car is about half-way over the edge. An Enforcer will appear but he won’t be able to reach you. At this point the game is effectively ‘paused’. When you want to resume the game, start driving and you’ll harmlessly drive over the gap (picture #1)! This trick will also affect the gameplay in that the Enforcer won’t appear and the game difficulty won’t increase. Also, Dr. Torpedo no longer appears on water sections!
• Switch Blade destruction: You can actually destroy the Switch Blade cars without use of weapons. As they close in from the rear, slow down a hair and align your car so that their front bumper is just barely in line with your Rear Bumper, and then quickly slam the wheel to bump them off the road. As long as you bump them before the front tire area, the blades will not harm you.
• Exploding van: When the Weapons van comes, start to drive into it, but shoot a single bullet just before you enter. If you time it right, your car will still enter the yet-unharmed van, give you the weapon, let you out, and then it will explode.
• The player’s car was based on one of the designer's own Nissan 280z. The name of the car, the G-6155, is a clever tribute to designer George Gomez - the numbers stand for his birth date.
• BUG: During the attract mode, when the Switch Blade and Enforcer cars are shown destroying your car and it goes off the road, you’ll see part of another car in the upper-left and right corners (picture #2). When the van comes out to drop off a new car, this car will disappear.
• BUG: If the road is drawn to the extreme right side of the screen when the car is dropped off by the weapons van, you can drive across the grass and water to pass any difficult areas that might be ahead.
• BUG: If you manage to be sideswiped from the right by a Switch Blade just as the exit for the boathouse has come up, your vehicle spins off the road but actually traverses down the exit ramp and through the boathouse. Your vehicle is renewed and play continues, but the game is now fixed in a never ending ride. Your vehicle is now actually on the left side of the entire screen as a car, not a boat, and cannot be steered. Additionally, the accelerator and machine guns work, but there's nothing to shoot. The score continues to increase and you can drive indefinitely, but there is no way to end the game and enter a high score without turning the power switch off. The only option is to power-cycle the game. This bug technique is extremely difficult to accomplish.
• BUG: On the levels where the bridge is out, if you call up the van so you enter it just after the last bend before the bridge out section, when you are dropped off on the extreme right hand side you can drive over the broken bridge. The first time you do this go slowly on the approach to the missing bridge and the Enforcer will pull alongside you on the opposite side of the road. When he hits the broken section, keep edging slowly across and - if done correctly - the enforcer-boat equivalent will no longer appear for the rest of the game.
Return to main menu