ATARI VCS/2600 High Score Contest
I'm offering a $15 bounty for anyone who can break any score listed below. The requirements (subject to change) are:
• The game must be played on an original Atari-made NTSC VCS/2600 console - no 3rd-party systems or modules. No emulators allowed.
• Only original cartridges allowed for the contest - no hacks or pirate versions (unless the original versions were never archived). No Cuttle Carts, Harmony carts, Krokodile carts, modified Superchargers, or similar devices allowed, unless complete video of the game is made available - reason being, it's too easy to use a modified ROM file.
• Games designed for use with a specific type of controller must use that controller. For example, using a Trak-ball controller for Track & Field is not allowed; only a joystick or a button controller may be used.
• Custom controllers are allowed, as long as they don't alter or modify the directional controls for speed in games like Decathlon and Track & Field.
• Nobody can assist you with playing the game (i.e. taking control of the game for you).
• Pausing is allowed, either with a hardware mod or a game software feature.
• Point-pressing is allowed, but not through exploiting glitches or scoring anomalies. Check the Easter egg page for the most recent listing of them. It's about getting the highest score, not the most screens/levels or longest playing time.
• Auto-firing (either with 3rd-party controllers or add-on devices) is also allowed for all but a few games (which aren't tracked, like Kung-Fu Master and RealSports Boxing).
• All contest submissions must be recorded and include footage showing the system, controller(s), and cartridge. The footage also needs to show the game being powered up and started, along with the difficulty switch settings and what game variation is being used, as well as the controller in use during the game. The footage can either be transferred to DVD and sent to me, or uploaded to sites like YouTube or Vimeo and accessible to everyone. It should include a card onscreen with your full name (or the video watermarked with your name).
Any player found to have cheated or lied about what format or version they used will have all their scores removed and be permanently banned from the site.
If you have any additions, suggestions, or corrections, please email me.
Garrett Holland claimed a double bounty for Tutankham!
Greg Degeneffe has a Blue-Print for success that includes Tac-Scan!
Garrett Holland commands the Gorfian empire, and does his own striking back at Star Wars: The Empire Strikes back!
Peter Nadalin commanded his way through Commando!
Steve Germershausen snaked his way to the bounty for Sssnake!
Greg Degeneffe claimed the bounty for Save the Whales!
Garrett Holland commanded a double bounty for Missile Command!
Greg Degeneffe claimed the bounty for Warplock!
Greg Degeneffe raced to a record in game 3 for Grand Prix!
Greg Degeneffe claimed the bounty for Steeplechase!
Greg Degeneffe shot down the bounty for Shootin' Gallery!
Glen Sampson rolled the score for Flash Gordon!
Greg Degeneffe is hardly swimming with the fishes in Aquaventure!
John McAllister chased down the bounty for Chase the Chuck Wagon!
Glen Sampson hopped to it with nabbing the bounty for Rabbit Transit!
Glen Sampson is simply super at Super Cobra!
Glen Sampson is rockin' at Rocky and Bullwinkle!
Greg Degeneffe climbed to the top Climber 5!
Steve Germershausen rolled the score for Adventures of Tron!
Greg Degeneffe claimed the bounties for Riddle of the Sphinx, Grand Prix, Frog Pond, Rabbit Transit, Asterix, Qb, and Pick Up!
Glen Sampson rolled the score for Space Cavern, maxed out Wabbit (and in the process found a kill screen), and rolled Nexar twice!
Jeff Adkins showed everyone how to really drive a race car by tying the world record in Pole Position!
Steve Germershausen claimed the bounty for Adventures of Tron!
Jeff Adkins claimed the Mr. Do! bounty!
Greg Degeneffe set a new high score for Skiing!
Steve Germershausen claimed the bounty for Sssnake!
Steve Germershausen claimed the bounties for Circus Atari, Donkey Kong (1 million w/o losing a life), Roc 'N Rope, and Mountain King (rolling score)!
|GAME||SCORE TO BEAT||NOTES|
|Allia Quest||80k||Double bounty for matching or breaking 91,900.|
|Buck Rogers||2 million|
|Bugs||500||Double bounty for 1,000.|
|Communist Mutants From Space||break 200k|
|Cosmic Commuter||1 million|
|Crazy Climber||reach building #9||Double bounty for rolling score.|
|Crystal Castles||1 million|
|Dark Chambers||299,820||Double bounty for doubling score.|
|Demons to Diamonds||15,127|
|Dukes of Hazzard, The (prototype)||5,080|
|Entity, The (prototype)||20k|
|Escape from Supercade||1,296|
|Fall Down (homebrew)||153|
|Fireball – cascade||75,000|
|Fireball – firetrap||100,000|
|Frog Pond (prototype)||1,195|
|Frogger, The Official (Starpath)||100k|
|Funky Fish (prototype)||29,710|
|G.I. Joe: Cobra Strike||1 million|
|Grand Prix||01:34.33 - game 4|
|Indy 500||3 seconds left||game 6. Difficulty A. Max score is 50.|
|17 seconds left||game 8, Difficulty A. Max score is 50.|
|Jr. Pac-Man||902,660||Double bounty.|
|Lady Bug||750k||Double bounty for rolling score.|
|Lock 'N' Chase||1 million||Double bounty.|
|95,470||game 4, difficulty A|
|Mega Force||1 million|
|Mines of Minos||11,450|
|Name This Game||35,980|
|Out Of Control||under 1 minute|
|Pengo||311,310||Double bounty for rolling score.|
|Pitfall!||114k (1:42 left)|
|Pitfall II: Lost Caverns||199k (9:47)|
|Popeye||805,750||Double bounty for rolling score.|
|Robot Tank||100 tanks||Double bounty for 144 tanks.|
|Sinistar||563,445||* Must use latest prototype version 2-13-84.|
|Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle||200k|
|Stay Frosty (homebrew)||276,518|
|Stay Frosty 2: Stay Frostier (homebrew)||378,853|
|Tapper||1 million||Double bounty.|
|Venture||40k||Double bounty for breaking 50k.|
Return to main menu